Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Wet felting a little trinket pot part one by Kat Hazelton

You will need for part one:
Assortment of wool, the type you use for needle felting/wet felting. I used natural for inside and coloured for outside. Plus some curly wool for decoration.
Net
 Soap or washing up liquid.
Bowl of soapy water.
Sponge
Towels.
Old cloths
Bubble wrap or plastic sheeting to keep you table dry.

Optional extras that I used:
A bamboo mat laid underneath to aid felting
Felting tool.

First make yourself a round waterproof resist. I made mine by using a plastic Ikea bag. I cut a rough circle. It doesn't have to be perfect! But if you want a perfect circle draw around a small plate or saucer.
Next lay out your table. I put a large towel on my table covered with a bamboo mat and big piece of bubble wrap. I find the textures of the bamboo mat and bubble wrap aid with felting. Fill a bowl with warm soapy water. I used shavings from a bar of soap but a little bit of washing up liquid is just as good. 
 To make the inside of your pot wet one side of your resist. This helps to stick the wool in place. Now layer your wool on one side covering the whole circle and plus an overlap. Gently wet with soapy water I used the sponge to gently soak my wool. Do not rub at this stage just gently press. When completely covered and you cannot see any of your resist gently turn over. The photo above shows what it will look like when turned over with the over lap showing. Bring the overlap into the circle, see photo below, and lay more wool to completely cover this side, again pressing and gently wetting with soapy water. Leave an overlap as before. At this point I rubbed my hand with a bit more soap to aid felting.

When its totally covered turn it over. Repeat pulling the overlap into the circle. Now slightly rotate your circle resist so you next layer of wool is laying in a slightly different direction. This will aid in the felting process. Add more wool, wetting with soapy water and repeat as before so both sides have two coverings of wool.


Once you have done your inside of your pot you are now ready to do the outside of your pot.
Rotate your circle resist just a little again. Taking your chosen wool cover the circle resist leaving an overlap basically the same process as before.



 Turn over and pull in the overlap


 Cover with more wool as before and turn over and again pull in the overlap. Remember to wet with soapy water and gently pat.


 Now your circle resist should have three layers of wool both sides. Two of your inside colour wool and one both sides of your outside pot colour. I now added some yellow curls of wool to one side to add some interest.
Gently wet, soap and pat under the net until firmly in place.


 Now it's time to get it really felted! Cover your resist with your netting. And gently rub in a circle adding more soap and water. Don't over soak it, if you do pat with a towel. You can use your hands to gently rotate the wool I use a felting tool to speed up the process.


Do this for 20 minutes and then gently turn over and do the same on the other side for another 20 minutes until felted.
To see if your pot is nearly felted pinch the wool with your fingers. If the wool is loose it needs more soap and rubbing. 
 Now I didn't need to roll my pot as it felted nicely. If however your wool feels it needs more felting either add more water and soap and rub under the net for another 20 minutes. Or roll it in bubble wrap. If you do this rotate the circle as you roll to aid the felting in all directions.


 Once your pot feels firm run it under warm water, then cold and then warm, then cold until the soap has gone. If you have trouble removing the soap add a little white vinegar to your rinse.


 Once your pot is rinsed cut out a little circle on the top.



 Now pull out your circle resist.


Stuff your pot with some old cloths to give it shape...leave to dry in an airing cupboard or on a windowsill.


Hope you enjoyed my tutorial please join me next posting on how to add those finishing touches to your pot!
Please excuse any typos I am currently using my mobile to do my blog! Lol! 😉

Google+ Badge