Sunday, 9 July 2017

Making a fairy house and Garden part one

Hi there, welcome to part one of my little fairy house and garden project. If you have read my previous posting you will know I have been having fun gathering materials to make this lovely little scene. I bought a pine shelf and stones from B&Q (£6 and £1) and added to this is now a little Hamster house! Yes a Hamster house! This one I bought from Amazon for less than £5.00. Perfect for those of you like myself who might not be good at woodwork! You can do lots of fab makeovers with these! Add a thatched roof, cover the walls in pebble dashing, paper or cover in sticks and flowers. I am going to cover half of mine in a grass hill a bit like a Hobbit house in Lord of the Rings!
Anyway lets get started........


Firstly I arranged it on my board and when I felt happy it was in the right place I glue it into the board. I used wood glue.


Close up of Hamster house and a fly who took great interest in my project lol!


I now started placing my stones on the board to work out where I wanted my little road and path to go.



When I was happy with the layout I glued the stones onto the base. I will be filling in around these stones later to make them look more realistic.


Now to make the house look like it is build within a hill. I used some scrap paper and wire mesh to create tge shape. I then nailed it to the house slightly going over the roof.
You could just use paper mache for this process or leave the house as it is.


 Close up of wire and paper hill.


I now started covering my hill with ModRoc which is a plaster bandage. I cut the bandage into 6 inch strips and soaked it in water and then smoothed it over the wire frame and over part of the roof. I found my ModRoc in my craft box but you can buy plaster bandages from all good hobby stores.


Here is what it looked like when the hill was fully covered. I also smoothed the bandage onto the board a little bit to soften the edge and make it secure.


I found a little wooden toadstool in my craft box so using the ModRoc I secured it to the roof. This I think will be a chimney of some sort. Hey it is a fairy house anything goes! Anyway now time to leave it all to dry! Hope you enjoyed my project so far. Please join me back here for part two!

A little extra tip!

This is a little extra project I am currently working on as I make my fairy house. Using the same style hamster house I am creating a little frog house for my Mums garden. Using some of the little stones I used in my path I gently broke them into smaller pieces and glued them onto the front of the house. I did this by putting some in a plastic bag and gently hitting them with a hammer. I used a waterproof glue so hopefully it will last a year or two in the garden.
It's looking a bit rough at the moment but once I add grouting it will smooth it all out. I will post an update on this project when I do my fairy house update 😊

Google+ Badge